If you do not want the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must decline or opt-out of coverage by submitting a waiver. You may only opt-out of coverage during the following Waiver Periods:
Annual: 05/17/2021 - 09/17/2021
Spring Semester: 11/30/2021 - 01/28/2022 (New Students Only)
All full time, residential, and international students holding a F or J Visas are required to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
To be eligible for a waiver of enrollment in the SHIP, American University (AU) requires that students provide evidence of coverage equal to or better than the coverage provided by AU’s SHIP. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of waiver requests will be sent to students’ AU email addresses within seven business days.
Student must be enrolled in a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
A. The alternative coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits. A list of the Essential Minimum Benefits can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits/.
- Contain no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA. A list of these preventive services can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits/.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP; or
B. In addition, International Students:
- Annual deductible of no more than $500.
- Proof of repatriation and medical evacuation expenses in the combined amount of no less than $100,000. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
NOTE: The following plan(s) will NOT be acceptable for waiver approval:
- Healthcare Sharing Plans are not accepted.
- Short-term coverage plans are not accepted.
- Financial Assistance plans are not accepted.
- Travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement are not accepted.
If your plan meets the above criteria and you want to waive enrollment from the Student Health Insurance Plan, please acquire an electronic copy of the front and back of your insurance ID card and then select the link below to submit your waiver request. Click the “WAIVE” button under the “I Already Have Health Insurance” section. You can also choose to activate your insurance by clicking the “ENROLL” button under “I Need Health Insurance” section.